CryptoLocker Virus: How to Repair & Recover Your Files.
The CryptoLocker Virus: Today a customer of ours called to say they had been infected with the CryptoLocker Virus.If you haven’t heard of it before, it’s quite nasty, in fact I would say it’s one of the most serious threats to small business data that has been created in recent memory.
If your computer has been infected, the first thing to do is unplug the internet and then shut down the computer.
We don’t advise that you pay the $300 ransom. Once you pay it, then you’re a prime target in the future.
If you want to try removing the virus yourself, follow the instructions below.
- Boot from an Ubuntu Boot CD
- Copy all Data to an External Hard Drive
- Plug the External Hard Drive into a Windows 8 or 8.1 machine
- Scan the Data using Windows Defender or another good Antivirus program
- You should remove all viruses, do not quarantine any data
- Scan the Data again with MalwareBytes
- On the machine that was infected, reinstall the Operating System, preferably upgrade to Windows 8 or Linux.
- Copy the clean data back across and install a good Antivirus such as MSE or Windows Defender, depending on which version of Windows you’re running.
Why Can The Police Not Catch the Perpatrators?
Easy, the criminals that designed the virus use Bitcoin for payment, which is currently untraceable.
How Can I Avoid Being Infected With CryptoLocker?
Upgrade to Windows 8.1, Linux, or Apple Mac. Currently the virus only infects machines running Microsoft Windows XP, Vista & 7.